Thursday, May 2, 2013

Work and growing pains and finding a new path

Last September I went from working 3 part time days to 4 full time days.  Not a big deal right? Added another day.  No biggie.  But, surprisingly it is...

It's not just that it's one more day.  Each of the other days are longer now and I'm noticing the adjustment is still going on.  It's trying to get the laundry done, cleaning, shopping, etc., which I always used to do on one of my weekday days off.  And trying to get some kind of dinner on the table before bedtime is turning out to be the toughest transition.

And yes, I realize other people do this, 5 days a week or more.  I'm not saying that I'm sooo much more deserving of sympathy or have it worse or in any way comparing myself to anyone other than me as I've been operating the last 7 years.

I enjoy cooking.  I like trying out new recipes.  I enjoy it and I'm a pretty good cook.  Trying to enjoy it when you are starved, tired, stressed, and it's way later than you want to eat is challenging.  Then by the time I get dinner together I'm so tired I'm not enjoying eating it either.

And here's the thing, I like working.  I like where I work.  I like the sense of accomplishment that comes from completing a job and the reward of a paycheck.  So going back is not an option.

I'm going to have to come up with a different plan of attack.  It will mean changing the way I shop I think and will most likely involve some kind of menu planning.  Arrrgh.  I much prefer to look at the foods we have and come up with something from there.  It's a very creative outlet for me.  But, I can always continue to do that on my days off.

Ah, this blog is therapeutic. Willing to share a quick and easy weeknight menu?  I'll share what I come up with, too.

Have a great day, one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!