Sunday, February 16, 2014

Tomato Soup

Remember the Harvest Soup I made a while back. Well last weekend I wanted some tomato soup to go with grilled cheese. Yes, I'm using food to combat the cold, blustery winter we are experiencing!

Well, my freezer was fresh out of the harvest base I'd packaged from summer, so I made it with canned tomato products. Of course I started out with all the extra veggies from my fridge and the standard, onion, celery, carrot and garlic, which I let saute until soft in a small amount of butter. Once soft, I added a large can of crushed tomatoes, a large can of whole tomatoes and 4 cups of chicken stock. I added two tablespoons of tomato paste and some dried oregano and basil. Once this was warmed through, I whirred it with the stick blender until smooth. I left this to simmer for 15 minutes and tasted. It needed pepper, but I think everything needs pepper, so you decide. I also added heavy cream. I did not measure, but if I were guessing I'd say about 1/2 cup. I added enough to get the classic orange-y red color, but what cream also does is add a level of silkiness to the soup I haven't been able to achieve any other way. (ooo, it sounds like i'm justifying the use of heavy cream... well, i suppose that's because people are so judge-y about food. please feel free to leave out the cream if it offends your eating habits.)

The point of this post is to tell you that even with canned products, the tomato soup turned so great. Much better than canned foot. For very little money, I ended up with enough soup for dinner and two workday lunches. I love a bargain, but it's got to be good or it's not really a bargain in my book. This soup is good.

Try topping with homemade croutons! We had grilled cheese, so no need this time, but every single time I've made homemade croutons, the crowd's gone wild!

Happy Sunday people!

“I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.”―Robert Fulghum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!