Saturday, February 9, 2013

Red Rover, Red Rover...

This vest is very red.  My son says "Intense" and his eyebrows raise just a little too high, if you know what I mean.  But, I like it.  It's made with a Butterick pattern that was clear, easy to follow, had very fine results.

Mind you, I tweaked the pattern.  I cannot help it.  I almost never follow a pattern from begin to end without a variation and this was no exception.  I decided to forgo using the facing.  This pre-quilted fabric is stiff.  I felt like two layers of that would be very like wearing cardboard.

So, what to do, what to do.  The pattern called for using bias tape on the arm holes.  I decided to outline the entire vest in bias tape.  I was originally going to use a pin dot fabric and I made miles and miles of bias tape, but in the end I just couldn't do it.  I don't know why exactly, normally I love any sort of polka dot, but not today and not with this vest.  So, I bought packaged bias and it is good.

Have you worked with pre-quilted?  Well, you end up with some pretty unattractive seams inside with all that white fleece hanging out.  Originally, I was going to use some of the miles of pin dot to enclose the seams.  See previous paragraph.  As I sat on my sewing chair contemplating life I spotted some bargain bin ribbon I bought a year ago.  Using it to encase the seams does two things:


First, it hides the white fluff.  Second, because I stitched it down through the garment, I ended up with these lovely wide 'top-stitching'.  Oh, and a third thing it does is I know there is silver inside.  It's like a sparkly little secret that only I know.  And now you know.

Oh, see the zipper pull?  It came off an after Christmas bargain bracelet at the grocery.  I took it apart and this was one component.  I just added a jump ring to attach it to a small lobster clasp.

Here's what's funny about all the pictures...  They do not look like they are the same vest, with all the color variations.  Oh...  I love my camera. You just never know what's going to happen.  hee hee.

Just in time for Valentine's ♥


Anyway, Butterick #5683. I recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!