Sunday, June 30, 2013

Nothing happens to you, it happens for you...

It's a seemingly subtle difference changing the "to" to "for", but when you give yourself the opportunity to think about it you realize just how life changing that can be.

I've had an interesting life, filled with challenges.  When I was younger, I was pretty angry.  There had been an awful lot of challenges and I simply didn't have the knowledge or support around me to handle the pressure.  So, I was pretty angry.  Let me tell you, it's a lousy way to be.

If you aren't told and don't instinctively know that you are worthy, you think that the things that happen are because you aren't good or good enough in some way.

But, what if we've got it all wrong?  What if the challenges that come your way are gifts?  That everything you experience is on purpose.  That it's expressly because you are good enough that this challenge has arrived.  What if this very challenge that has you feeling so low is just the thing to lift you higher, make you wonderful, make you who you were meant to be?

No really.  I'm serious.  We've been taught to look at things all bass-ackward (word from my Grandpa so he wasn't 'cussing' in front of me).  We've been taught the guilt - if you were better, you wouldn't be dating a cheater, or had your purse stolen, or lost your job.

The truth is that guilt is a soul sucking waste of time.  It doesn't benefit you or anyone around you.  It doesn't heal or lift or warm. It is my sincere hope that everyone reading this will hear this truth:  Guilt has no place in your life.  It is the most destructive emotion because it is wholly and utterly self loathing.

This week, I challenge you to think about your life from a different perspective.  One where you realize that you must be worthy and strong and smart because you've been dealt some interesting life experiences.  Know that you are loved and worthy.  Know that whatever appears in your life is not a punishment or the result of your imperfection.  Know that you were created to be you, warts and all.  God does not make mistakes.  You and your imperfection are just as God intended.

We are not meant to be perfect.  We are meant to be whole. ~ Jane Fonda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!