Thursday, June 6, 2013

Aches and gratitude

Yesterday was a jam-packed day filled with worship, weeding and the grocery.  I awoke this morning with some interesting aches and pains.  The good news is that we are well weeded.  I won't say weed free, because that is never true.

I started this blog on Monday and just rediscovered it.  Oh well.  Life is busy and interesting and full and sometimes I just can't squeeze in the blog.  There's no way I'll be complaining about that, though.


Here is a bacon wrapped meatloaf I made last week.  Isn't it beautiful!  I cooked it a little too long, though and it was dry on the inside.  I also skipped the ketchup I normally use in favor of the bacon and I wonder is that contributed to the dryness as well.  But, it's a stunner and was delicious.  Make your favorite meatloaf recipe, shape it into a loaf and place on a broiler pan, which will allow the grease to drip away from the meatloaf.  Start in the middle and lay strips of bacon along the meatloaf and then tuck the ends under.  When you get to the ends of the meatloaf half a piece will be more than enough.  I put those extra pieces on top as a garnish but in future I think I'll just save them for something else.  The bacon added great flavor and it was crispy, which was really good as well.

Remember the post about dinner and trying to figure out how to make it all work... I've discovered that having a snack at what used to be the dinner time hour and is now the coming home from work time hour, takes the edge off and allows me to enjoy the dinner making process again.  We eat later, but that all seems to work out as it's edging toward summer and the sun is with us much longer.

I actually made this meatloaf and it's twin on a weeknight and we ate it that evening.  Also really happy to be figuring this out.

“Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.” ~ Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!