Friday, July 19, 2013

Ch-ch-ch-changes...

One of my kids is moving out and I am heartbroken.  I don't want them to live here forever, but having been through this once, I know it's going to suck.

Look at that face!
In my rational mind I know how great this is.  How exciting and nervy and giddy moving into your own place is.  I am genuinely thrilled and looking forward to seeing how this new phase develops.

All the same, I'm going to miss that kid.  Dang.

It hit me two days ago, the blues.  And I don't want to be blue, because I think it's a little selfish and I don't want to ruin this experience for my sweet, sweet boy.  I also want to enjoy it and right this minute I can't.

Today sucks.  I'm sad and weepy and snotty (too much information?). I can't hardly stand myself.

So, dear blog, I'm writing this post in hopes you will work your magic and help me get to a place where I can celebrate with my son.

My son, who is sunny and bright and smart as a whip.  My son, who is charming and challenging and hardworking.  My son, who is a caring, compassionate, quality human being. I have loved him from the moment I said to my husband "Let's have another!" and I'm going to miss him when he moves.

Like I said, I've been through this before and it's sucky.  REALLY SUCKY!  But I also know that this will be a whole new amazing chapter in our relationship.  It will add dimension and richness because we will each miss the other and our times together will be sweeter for it.

It's just the right now, anticipating the empty chair and quietness, and then once he moves, adjusting to the quietness and empty spaces - that is where the blues reside.  AAAAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKK.

I really, really, really have to get away from myself.  So, I'm going to shower and get out into the world.

Thanks for listening.

“Accept the children the way we accept trees—with gratitude, because they are a blessing—but do not have expectations or desires. You don’t expect trees to change, you love them as they are.” ~Isabel Allende


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!