Thursday, July 25, 2013

Caffeine freedom!

I've kicked the caffeine monkey off my back!  Woo HOO!

I've had a love affair with Diet Coke from the moment it came on the market.  Not a joke or exaggeration. It's been by friend, my comfort, my celebration. But, the caffeine is not my friend.  As I'm approaching menopause, my sleep has really taken a beating.

Two years ago I gave up caffeine and had significant improvement in the sleep department.  I, however, was not ready to break up with Diet Coke and within 6 months I was back to my old habits.

While on vacation I realized that I actually wanted to give it up.  This is big.  Huge, even.  I really, really like sleeping.  I also get very, very cranky when I don't get enough sleep.  Given the choice of caffeine or sleeping, I choose sleeping and will every single time.

BTW-I've tried caffeine free and, for me, it's not the same.  Might be psychological, but nevertheless it's a no-go.  I also want a break from all the artificial sweetener.  Not that I am on a band wagon or a soap box, but I'm trying to reduce every kind of food additive - get back to the basics if you will.  And I just couldn't ignore all the extra stuff in the soda.

So, I had my last caffeine Monday morning.  By Monday evening the headache had arrived.  Tuesday was tough, but Wednesday was AWFUL.  I knew it was going to be 3 days of headache, but seriously Wednesday was AWFUL!  By lunch I was nauseous and by 3:00 I was ready to cry.  I left work early, to come home and take a nap.

A miraculous thing happened during that nap, the headache receded to a dull hum!  This morning I woke up with just the barest hint of headache - just around the fringes, if you know what I mean.  And finally this evening I feel like me again.

Do I think it'll last.  Yes.  I feel differently about the whole process this time.  Last time I felt like I was backed into a corner and had to make the choice because my sleep pattern was so out of whack.  This time, I'm happily making the choice to give it up.  I prefer good sleep to soda.  Geez, this is growth.  I feel really good about it. This is the year of Light! And this choice feels light.  Yes.

And so, this is how I've spent my week.  You?  Have you been growing this week, too?

“The only way that we can live, is if we grow. The only way that we can grow is if we change. The only way that we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we can become exposed is if we throw ourselves out into the open. Do it. Throw yourself.” ~ C. JoyBell C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!