Friday, March 13, 2009

Favorite Book


A little off my theme of the week, but...

I rarely read a book more than once. There are three main reasons for that: First, I like to be surprised when I'm reading. I don't like formula books, much, because once you know the author, you know what is coming. Second, I'm not the sort who wants to memorize a book. I prefer to absorb and remember the essence or flavor or feeling of a book. Finally, there are just so many unread books waiting for me. So a book has to be really, really something for a second read.

This is one of those books for me. Rosamunde Pilcher's Winter Soltice. There is just something about this story that really speaks to me. It is not in any great hurry, nor does it have spectacular special effects or a neatly packaged moral. It is a gentle unfolding of some genuine, interesting characters and their life events. It is both heartbreaking and heartwarming and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!