Sunday, April 7, 2013

Warmth, shelving, and puzzlement

Today is warm.  72 in fact.  It's lovely, sunny, windy and warm.  Perfect for tossing some seeds and perfect for poly-ing the new kitchen shelves.

So here's what we've done...  Wandering around our home improvement store, we discovered these planks made from pieces of aspen that had been joined together into larger planks, sort of butcher block style.  It's tough to tell from this picture, but trust me, they look great!  We cut them to the correct size and put polyurethane on them, leaving them the natural pale color, which fits our light kitchen neutral plan of attack.

The shelves will be setting on track shelving, which my handy hubby painted a beige color, which blends so nicely with the wall color. We went with three for the time being.  A 15 on top, a 12 in the middle, and a 9 down low.  The dogs eating destination is under these shelves and we didn't want her to feel crowded.  Now we are waiting on the poly to dry.

Bet you are wondering about the lighting, aren't ya?!  Well, it took four hours and a lot of discussion and visiting every place in a two hour radius, but...  We finally purchased a single light.  One light fixture.
I think that's all I'll say about that.  Call me Forrest Gump.

Today I ordered new plates.  hee hee.  I didn't tell anyone, didn't ask their opinion, didn't waffle, didn't evaluate, just went with my instinct.  They should be here this week.  eeep.  I'm excited.  When they get here, I'll post a pic with my rationale for what I bought and why.  Until then, mum's the word.

So, here's something I'm currently pondering.  Let's say you notice someone who is not having a great day and you're concerned enough to want to help.  Then you try and that someone promptly bites your freaking head off.  So, now that they've told you they clearly do want your attention, you turn said attention to something else.  You know it's not about you and since you've had some rather crabby moments in your life, you just go on about your business.  Some time later, head-biting someone decides they do want to talk, but rather than say that, or address what happened earlier, or God forbid - apologize...  They say nonsense things and jokes.  And because nonsense and jokes aren't conversation and the elephant in the room is hard to ignore, but you do it,  the head biter says "Are you upset about something?"  Can anyone explain this to me?  Anyone? Anyone!

Never mind, I know what it is.  I'm well versed actually, but there are times when I find it exhausting when other people absolutely refuse to do any sort of soul searching, or inner exploration whatsoever.  For crying out loud, we all have life lessons to learn.  Put on your big girl panties and prepare to be schooled.  It's never as bad as you think and there is such tremendous relief in the newfound knowledge. Besides, you don't pay attention this time, that lesson is just going to keep showing up again and again and again.


"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future."-- Deepak Chopra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!