Monday, March 19, 2012

Year of Wonder...

2012 is the year of wonder in our house. We are trying new things, giving up some things, getting out into the world and being open to life. It's been pretty amazing so far! It's been wonderful to take a second before making a decision and factor in the Year of Wonder. I've said yes to things that I would have said no to and been utterly delighted. I've also said no to things when I was tempted or felt obligated to say yes and found freedom and joy.

One thing I'm trying this year is to reduce the amount of chemicals in our home. Ever looked at labels on your cleaning products? Lotions, moisturizers, cosmetics? You might be surprised by the number of chemicals, commonly called additives in your food! So, I'm reducing my dependence on products with a lot of chemicals. I am never a zealot (Pinterest aside) and not all chemicals or additives are bad, but I am being conscious of my purchasing choices because I can. And because this is the year of wonder!!

One example: Vinegar is an excellent cleaner/degreaser/antibacterial. It's easy to use and requires no special storage. I re-used the spray bottles from my previous kitchen cleaner. I use half vinegar/half water. It's great in the bathroom and kitchen. Tip: Spritz moderately heavy in the microwave, run on high for 30 seconds, then wipe clean.

I discovered on Pinterest a blog entry where the woman and her family began using baking soda in place of shampoo. I was intrigued. It would fit perfectly into my plan to replace chemical laden products with natural alternatives, so I began searching the web in earnest. Everything I found only encouraged me, so I am on day four of the switch. The first day my hair was awesome. Clean, soft, shiny. Woot! I was so happy. Day two, good but I noticed that by the end of the day I wanted to and did cleanse again. Also, my scalp is periodically tingly, not in an uncomfortable way at all, but obviously from the new regimen. Day Three, hmmm... Not great-flat, not so shiny, difficult to comb, oily feel as the day progressed, plus it's just not all that soft to the touch. Not straw like or anything, but definitely not like it used to be before this experiment. Day four, worse than day three as far as the oil goes. Hair was easier to comb and the ends feel soft and 'normal', but the oiliness near the scalp - not good. I was warned, but every blogger who tried this that there is a transition time. That hair and scalp exposed to the harsh ingredients in shampoo will need some time to adjust to the new protocol. But reading it and living it are two different things. So, I've decided to put some entries on the blog to help me remember this process and to help anyone else trying it. I was using 1 TBS baking soda in 1 Cup of water and using half of that volume per shower. As I said, the first day this worked amazingly well. After doing more researching, I will be trying 2 TBS in 2 Cups of water and using the entire amount tomorrow. This is a trial and error process. Like a puzzle = and I do enjoy a good puzzle!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!