Friday, August 16, 2013

Un-stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Remember when I mentioned the need to uncover some quick dinner ideas?  Well here is a winner:  Un-stuffed Cabbage Rolls!  Unfortunately, I did not take a picture, so you will just have to trust me.

1 c. uncooked long grain rice
2 c. water or chicken broth
1 T. butter
1 head of cabbage, chopped

1 T. olive oil
1 med onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
Meatballs
Pepper

Disclaimer: I'm a very casual cook.  I almost never follow a recipe for savory foods.  Even writing out these instructions, I waffle because you can add as much or as little garlic or onion or tomato products. You can use fresh from the garden, you can add other veggies...  Anyway, this is what I did to make this tonight.

I put the water, rice, and butter into a pan.  While it was coming to a boil, I chopped the cabbage.  When the water started to boil, I put the cabbage in the the pan, but did not stir it.  This technique allows the cabbage to steam above the rice.  Put a lid on, turn the temp down to simmer and set the timer for 20 minutes.

While the rice is doing it's thing, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add tomatoes, sauce and meatballs (as many or as few as you like). You can also make this by browning ground beef or turkey or chicken in place of the meatballs, but as I had meatballs that's what we used.  Add spices here - again, use what you like - I used black pepper and cayenne pepper.  Let this simmer together until the rice is ready.

When rice is cooked, empty entire contents into skillet and combine.  It's ready to serve immediately.

It was really good and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts!